If illness, injury or disability has limited your communication, thinking (cognition), or swallowing abilities Brian Center Southpoint’s Speech Pathologists will provide the therapy you need while selecting the best treatment options to create the most effective plan of care for you. Our speech-language pathologists are experts in treating aphasia and dysphagia and various other speech and language impairments.
- Aphasia refers to difficulty understanding and/or expressing language; for example, trouble speaking, retrieving words from memory, understanding others’ speech, and reading/ writing.
- Dysphagia refers to the impairment of any part of the swallowing process.
Speech-language, cognitive impairments and dysphagia can have major consequences for the patient’s quality of life and health. While dealing with these issues can be physically and emotionally trying we will support and guide you every step of the way.
You or your loved one will receive an individualized treatment program of exercises, activities and instruction to reduce the disability's extent and promote development or recovery.
We have 2 full-time speech-language pathologists that have been at the Brian Center Southpoint for a combined 19 years. Our SLP’s are certified in:
- Vital Stim Therapy: A specialized treatment programs for dysphagia involving neuromuscular electrical stimulation.
- The Guardian Way: Another specialized treatment programs for dysphagia involving neuromuscular electrical stimulation.
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT): A specialized treatment program to improve voicing in patients with neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson ’s disease.
Our therapists work closely with the interdisciplinary team and family to achieve the highest level of independence in all areas. Please call 919-226-4342 and ask to speak with Emily Wilkie, CCC/SLP or Marissa Rimmer, CCC/SLP.